For He repays man according to his work,
And makes man to find a reward according to his way.
It is such an amazing joy to receive mail and care packages!
The connection to home that I receive through letters is incredibly important. I can’t stress this enough. Sit down, write a letter and send it off, even if you are someone I haven’t spoken to in ages!
. . .
I am a Volunteer in the United States Peace Corps. PCVs are paid a small stipend that covers food and shelter but little else.
Many of the items on this list are needed or will be used to accompany various lesson plans and activities for sessions I teach regarding topics such as forestry conservation, agriculture, HIV/AIDS and English. Others are just for fun or “comfort” items for those rough days!
You can send mail and care packages to my address on the contact page!
For those of you wishing to support my work here in Malawi, these items would be much appreciated (list is always current and in no particular order; note the * and ¤ characters):
- Malawian flag
- Michigan flag
- Large map of Africa
- Africa-shaped stickers (I want one particularly for my guitar)
- Southern hemisphere constellation chart
- Something that would definitely remind me of Alpena, MI
- A flask (for adult beverages…)
- Velveeta cheese packets (found in their dinner meals, next to Hamburger Helper in the market)
- Powdered cheese packets (think Kraft Mac & Cheese sans mac)
- Parmesan cheese (processed kind that doesn’t require a fridge, can put in Ziplock bag for easier shipping)
- Jolly Ranchers¤
- Wintergreen mints (Lifesavers brand)
- Sugar-free mint or wintergreen gum
- Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce
- Sriracha hot sauce¤
- Frank’s hot sauce
- Seasoning salt
- Rice seasonings
- Real bacon cooked bacon bits
- Spam (the meat that lasts forever)
- Corned beef hash
- Beef jerky
- Flavored water additives (think Mio and Propel water enhancers)¤
- GNC Mega Men Sport Multivitamin
- A thorough study Bible, giving precedence to one that shows the history of the biblical canon and in-depth views and explanations of passages. This study Bible should be aimed at advanced readers with a foundational working knowledge of theological and philosophical concepts. I’m looking at The Jewish Study Bible, Harper Collins Study Bible or the Orthodox Study Bible. Looking for suggestions, too, please.*
- Any good books you enjoyed and would like to pass along! Here is a list of books I’ve read/am currently reading.
- “The A.T. Thru-Hikers’ Companion” by Appalachian Trail
- “The Essential Touring Cyclist” by Richard A. Lovett
- Magazines (Foreign Policy, The Economist, RELEVENT, Times, National Geographic, Entrepreneur, Men’s Health, Maxim, Backpacker, Wired, Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, Smithsonian, Rolling Stone, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Field and Stream, any with a lot of pictures of America to share)
- Amazon Kindle protective cover*¤
- (1) TB external hard drive, sturdy and filled with media (movies, TV shows, music), USB 3.0 and Windows 8 compatible*¤
- MiniSD cards/thumb drives, the highest GB capacity you care to send¤
- Quality headphones (so when I’m making music. . .)*
- Mixed or copied CDs (all music)
- Guitar tabs of songs I should learn/would enjoy (I like all music)
- Acoustic guitar strings. I need G strings most — I break them more than any other (second up is D then e). Also, if they are in plastic, air-tight packaging, they will endure the humidity longer and thus store better.¤
- Beginners harmonica music book*
- Any musical instruments, anything from cheap noisemakers to whatever your bank account will allow.*
- Incense and a holder*
- Scented candles (Vanilla, sugar cookie, pumpkin, cinnamon)
- Roll of Duck Tape
- Whetstone/knife sharpener/strop*¤
- Sturdy travel coffee press/mug combination*¤
- Gillette Fusion razor blade refills
- Straight blade shaving razor*
- Dry-stick underarm deodorant
- A couple pairs of simple aviator sunglasses, black or silver frames
- G2 gel pens, black or blue
- Colored Sharpie markers
- Highlighter markers
- Dry-erase markers
- Frisbee (regulation size, sturdy)*
- Soccer ball (with inflation pump fitting)*
- Racquet balls*
- Tennis balls*
- Hacky sack*
- Travel UNO, Yahtzee, and similar games*
- Inflatable pool (not joking, I live in an oven)*
- Anything you think of that would be fun to play with/give to deserving kids! (Anything soccer-related — it is very popular here!)
- Money (It would be best to give it to my mother to deposit in my account, which I can access here.)
- Anything random!
- A letter with a picture and a quick prayer!
I will reply to each package/letter, I promise!
Thank you so much!
* = Items that you should tell me you are sending so I take them off this list and avoid double being sent.
¤ = Items that I want/need now; priority items.
Again, you can send packages to my address on the contact page!
I want to get the most out of my stay abroad. The following are experiences that I hope to cross off my bucket list.
Authentic safari in Zambia/Malawi: DONE Chongoni Rock Art Area in Malawi: DONE Summit Mount Kilimanjaro: DONE
- Christmas on the Okavango
- Skydiving in Namibia
- Visit Victoria Falls
- Whitewater rafting the Zambezi
Participate in the Malawi Music Project: DONE Attend the Lake of Stars Music Festival: DONE Hike to the top of Mount Mulanje: DONE
- Visit the Great Pyramids of Giza
Catch fish in the Nile River: DONE Scuba dive Lake Malawi: DONE
- Visit Israel
- Backpack Europe